Stopping Escalation

Claude Bourque claude.bourque at rcmp-grc.gc.ca
Wed Oct 29 13:44:32 EDT 2014

Greetings WUGgers

The following is more to start a discussion that to get an answer to a specific technical problem. So, here it goes.

I've been dealing with this for about 10 years and I'm wondering if there's a better way.

In a lot of workflows that I've built, the business wants escalation to stop once it reaches a certain position in the hierarchy. For example, don't go higher than the CFAO or the Director of HR. Or, if the user requestion leave, travel, training, etc is the CFO/CFAO then the approval is different than for other users.

I've used a variety of ways to do this including the following

1. Hard-code the position(s) within the workflow (bad, very bad)
2. Hard-code the position(s) within an ABAP method (still very bad)
2. Use a Z-table to store the position(s) in question and read that table from WF
3. Use table TVARVC (or TVARV)
4. I saw a customer once use table T77S0 to save the position(s).

Are there other significantly different options out there?

The main dilemma is that the CFO/CFAO position is most likely NOT the same in DEV, QA and Prod.

Thanks.

Cheers

Claude
Workflow Consultant RCMP