Long delay in raising events

Mike Pokraka wug at workflowconnections.com
Wed Oct 23 10:49:51 EDT 2013

Hi Ed,

20 seconds is nothing. Event triggers are processed via RFC and these can be held up for hours in cases of system load. Due to load balancing, event receivers are often triggered on different servers, and can even be out of sequence. The whole event mechanism is designed to be decoupled, and hence relying on timing is not appropriate when dealing with events.

Your design works if workflow 1 is something long running, but if a 20 second delay is too long for workflow 2 to function correctly, you have an unstable setup. I would suggest that workflow 2 should look at the underlying data of the relevant object to see whether it's needed. Or perhaps wf1 should wait for wf2 to start up and kill it via an event, or maybe manage it in start conditions, there are a few ways to address this other than relying on the timing of events.

Regards,
Mike