Temporary Exception Message Not Showing Up in Workflow Log

Bratzler, Loren loren.bratzler at nscorp.com
Wed Dec 11 17:13:51 EST 2013

Mark,

Thank you for pointing this out.  I changed my message number to 001 and I am now getting my warning messages!

[cid:image005.png at 01CEF691.F62713D0]

And to Rick's point about debugging the method:  I did that and I noticed some odd behavior in our Purchase Order workflow (BUS2012).  The BAPI that is used to release the PO has a parameter that basically tells the BAPI if any exceptions are going to be raised:

CALL FUNCTION 'BAPI_PO_RELEASE'
  EXPORTING
    use_exceptions         = useexceptions
    po_rel_code            = relcode
    no_commit              = nocommit
    purchaseorder          = object-key-purchaseorder
  IMPORTING...

If this parameter is not populated with an "X", the BAPI will not raise any exceptions at all.

I then saw this code at the beginning of the PO Release method:

swc_get_element container 'RelCode' relcode.
swc_get_element container 'UseExceptions' useexceptions.
swc_get_element container 'NoCommit' nocommit.
IF sy-subrc <> 0.
  MOVE 'X' TO useexceptions.
ENDIF.

During debugging, I noticed that the first GET_ELEMENT command got a return-code of zero.  But the next two both got return-codes of 0008.  Looking at the bindings, I could see that we were passing the workflow container elements to the task container, but the workflow container elements were never populated anywhere in the workflow.  What is the criteria for when a GET_ELEMENT command will return a SY-SUBRC of 0008?  What I found interesting was that if I tested the BOR method stand-alone through SWO1, these GET_ELEMENT commands always got return codes of zero, even though I did not key anything into the importing fields on the test screen.  They only got return-codes of 0008 when running in the workflow itself.  So is it possible that the SWO1 test screen was populating these fields with spaces which was accepted?  And then when running in the workflow they were INITIAL which caused the return-code 0008?

The other thing I notice here is that the check of SY-SUBRC is after the GET of the NoCommit parameter but it is populating the UseExceptions parameter if sy-subr is not zero.  That looks to me like an error in the code and this code came from the standard RELEASE method of BUS2012.  I think the only reason we have been getting any exceptions at all from this process is because we just happened to not populate the NoCommit parameter which caused SY-SUBRC to be 0008 which then caused us to move the "X" to the UseExceptions variable.

Loren