Duplicate Workflows Being Triggered from Single Event

Bratzler, Loren loren.bratzler at nscorp.com
Tue Dec 3 11:28:11 EST 2013

Hello,

Need some help here!  We had some users complain that they were receiving duplicate approval tasks in their inbox for a single item.  Upon investigating, I discovered that there were two workflows being triggered for the item.  I turned on the event trace for the triggering event and found that the event was only being raised once, but the workflow was being created twice from that event.

Below is a screen-shot of the trace.

[cid:image001.png at 01CEF019.FA0E68A0]

The hi-lighted lines in the screen-shot show that the triggering event (BUS2042 - TO_BE_APPROVED) occurred at 14:55:04.  A workflow was then triggered at 14:55:11 and another workflow at 14:56:32.  The problem does not occur every time this event is raised.  Note that the entries before and after the hi-lighted entry worked fine.  Only one workflow was triggered and the events were all raised by the same user.

The event linkage in SWE2 only has this one event associated to the WS20000139 receiver.

This particular event uses the Event Queue.  Our event queue background job is configured to operate dynamically with a maximum of 100 events per read access.  Time interval between read accesses is 1 minute and interval between queue checks is 5 minutes.  So the background job will run every 5 minutes unless there are more than 100 events to process.  Then it would run every 1 minute.

I am wondering if the problem might be related to the background job?  Could it be running in the 1 minute mode (due to event queue load) causing it to somehow process the event twice?  I have tried to look at the execution history of the background job in SM37 but for some reason, SM37 will only show the latest execution of the job.  That is another question I have as well.  Does anyone know why the event queue background job (SWEQSRV) would not show the execution history in SM37?  All of the other workflow background jobs are showing their execution history but SWEQSRV does not.

[cid:image002.png at 01CEF01A.BF4A5A20]

Loren Bratzler
Norfolk Southern Corporation
110 Franklin Road SE