Form steps and dynamic tasks - has anyone tried it?

Kjetil Kilhavn kjetil.kilhavn at bluec.no
Tue Mar 13 06:54:52 EDT 2012

I have not really used form steps before. There is one workflow here that uses
it, and now they want some changes. I was thinking of using dynamic task
selection in the workflow, but it seems that is not possible.

Here's the scenario: The current solution displays some information about a
budget to be approved. There are two amounts and some other information.

Now they want to change this solution so there are three possibilities.
Sometimes one amount should be displayed, other times three amounts. This
depends on the other data in the system, and it is not a problem to determine
the proper case.
However, since the structure seems to be hard-linked to the form my problem is
that I can not pass different structures for the different cases. Thus I would
have to have all fields necessary for at least one of the cases available. I
can dynamically hide the fields I don't need, but it then seems the only point
left in using dynamic task allocation is to have different task descriptions
and work item texts. The user will also have different tasks in the workflow
inbox which can be seen by an advantage or disadvantage depending on one's
view.

With such little advantage in using dynamic task allocation it seems I may as
well split the whole thing completely and have different workflows which makes
the maintenance and re-testing easier if they suddenly decide they want a
change in one of the processes. The workflow is very small, so this is not
really much duplication of effort/code.

Please enlighten me as to whether I am making any sense, or do you have a
better suggestion.
--
Kjetil Kilhavn (+47 40220607) - Blue Consulting AS (http://www.bluec.no)