Web Dynpr for ABAP / Workflow Integration

Michael McInerney michaelm at duke.edu
Thu Aug 23 13:54:31 EDT 2012

Hi,

We've done a bit of workflow here - anything from just using events to trigger background processing  to some cool approval routines based on hr custom objects, to passing around custom interactive alv objects in approvals, to integration with java based forms using BUS7051 and ISR processing.  More recently, we've begun to roll out additional 7051 based notifications using web dynpro forms on the front end.
We've also done a decent bit of web dynpro for ABAP, including some state driven multi-level approval processing without workflow.
But we've not really done both together.
We now have a requirement for a non-trivial multi-level approval workflow which should be managed from a web dynpro environment.  My straightforward napkin sketch approach to this would be:

webDynproForm <--> customPersistentObjectForStateandBusinessLogic <--> backEndWorkFlow

The user would interact with the web dynpro which gets information/behavior  from a persisted data store which interacts through APIs with the WF for approval processing, etc.  No business objects, no ISR, etc. It just seems simple.
That said, I'm looking for additional ideas/recommendations as to how to serve out the wf processing via web dynpro.  I welcome general discussion, pointers, techniques, best/suggested practices, etc.  I'd also welcome validation/disqualification of this as a design scheme.
How would you implement this (at a high level) ?

Thanks...

...Mike

Michael K. McInerney
Duke University - Office of Information Technology
334 Blackwell Street, Suite 1103, Durham, NC 27701 (919)684-5371
michaelm at duke.edu