Mobile WF.

Alon Raskin araskin at go3i.com
Wed Jan 12 10:00:08 EST 2011

We have seen a few customers deploy these 'home grown' solutions but ultimately they don't take hold in the enterprise. The reasons that we have seen are as follows:

·         WebDynpro solutions are not really designed to be run on a mobile device. They tend to bring the 'device down to its knees' (depending on the device). Futhermore, I believe that mobile browsers are not currently supported by WebDynpro.

·         These home grown solutions also fail to address one of the most fundamental aspects of mobile access. That is, how do I access my mobile approvals in a disconnected/offline manner? I always say that if 'you are tethered to the network then you are not really mobile'.

·         Users tend to be 'fanatic' about their device. If you  don't believe me just try suggesting to an iPhone user that a BlackBerry is better (or vice versa). Either way, users want a native and familiar experience and not having SAP screens running on their mobile device. This is one of the main reasons that users tend to stop using these 'home grown' solutions.

Having said that I do understand the reluctance as some of the mobility solutions out there are complex and lengthy to deploy and then there is always the on-going maintenance and upgrade effort. So I do understand why some customers prefer to 'hack together' a solution.

Regards,

Alon Raskin