WDA & ABAP Objects - Percent of WF'ers using them?

Ramki Maley rmaley at erpworkflow.com
Fri Feb 25 11:12:58 EST 2011

Mike, great ideas. I will look into them. I am under severe time
constraints and was thinking in the lines of your first suggestion.

Many Thanks,
Ramki.

On 2/25/11 11:06 AM, Mike Pokraka wrote:
> [...]
>>> workflow either through a custom or a standard event, some have been
>>> been developed for work item processing (= approval views) and some
>>> have been done for work item reporting. Since both WDA and WF work on
>>> the ABAP runtime, they work beautifully together. Firing events with
>>> ABAP OO for WF, processing work items and reporting on them are as
>>> straightforward with WDA as with plain ABAP.
>>>
>>> Currently our nr 1 choice for a new customer specific web user
>>> interface sitting on top of any SAP Business Suite (ok CRM and SRM may
>>> be different) is WDA as per SAP's Best Built Application guidelines.
>>> As Mike P stated before, it has lots of benefits when compared to the
>>> other alternatives (WDJ, BSP, VC) available. So our outlook on it is
>>> very positive, it works well together with WF implementations and also
>>> has UI-wise very powerful features like POWL and FPM delivered with
>>> the framework.
>>>
>>> WDA + ABAP OO for WF experiences:
>>> Yes, the 1 + 1 = 3 section :)
>>>
>>> Having gone through multiple projects using the two, the main benefits
>>> arising from the usage of ABAP OO together with Workflow and WDA are
>>> reuse and encapsulation in my experience. What this basically means is
>>> that when building a web enabled workflow solution having WDA as the
>>> UI, we are first structuring the solution into architecturally
>>> different layers. Most common layers in a typical scenario include the
>>> UI layer (incl WDA), process integration layer (WF) and the business
>>> logic layer (ABAP OO). Each of the scenario specific layers then have
>>> several components like multiple WDA components, multiple workflow
>>> definitions and multiple classes.
>>>
>>> As an example, let's take a typical parked invoice approval scenario
>>> where you need to have a web UI for casual invoice approvers, a
>>> workflow to coordinate the process and a class to take care of invoice
>>> actions and information provisioning. For the invoice object realized
>>> as an ABAP OO class, the typical implementation should then include
>>> not only WF interface methods, but also getters and setters (called as
>>> functional methods from WF, and by WDA as instance methods), invoice
>>> action methods (status changes triggered by WF and/or WDA) and static
>>> methods used for invoice work item reporting etc. Having implemented
>>> everything in one class, you can use e.g. the same object and its
>>> methods efficiently and effectively by both the WDA and by the WF
>>> definitions.
>>>
>>> My experience in summary currently is that I would go no other way
>>> than using ABAP OO in WF related projects. Switching back to BOR not
>>> only would make my life miserable because of all the macros, outdated
>>> editors and other features of BOR, but more importantly because its
>>> integration to WDA would be so much more difficult when compared to
>>> ABAP classes. There is of course the learning curve you need to
>>> conquer as discussed in previous posts, but I definitely think it's

>>> www.nobultec.com  - Work redistributed
>>> fi.linkedin.com/in/mikkomakirahkola - Follow me on LinkedIn
>>> twitter.com/mikkomr - Follow me on Twitter