ABAP Objects - Percent of WF'ers using ABAP OO?

Sample, Rick Rick.Sample at graybar.com
Tue Feb 22 13:48:28 EST 2011

All interested parties,

Like I said, I am at the beginning of completing my first prod app in ABAP OO. Low priority thing to test the waters for our company and  expand our knowledge. So I was poking a lot of people to get an idea of the best place to start.
Thanks ALL for input. Especially Mike, Mike, and Jocelyn.

Yes, I am still waiting for my book "Practical Workflow for SAP 2nd Edition". (Can't wait for my royalty checks for plugging the book!)

At this point, I just kept my design as simple and light weight as possible. I will expand on my (small) frame work / interfaces for all my known common functions (best I can anyway) and refactor / evolve  when and where needed. It is a low priority project, not the never ending story, so I had to take my best shot and go with what I know.

Didn't touch the exits, type linkages, etc. to create events in ABAP OO, I just caught the standard BOR BUS2032.CREATE / CHANGE and instantiate the object when the flow starts. I already had that in place, so I know this works. Good enough for now. I will need GOS so I can't get away from using BOR anyway.

I have kicked off a Sales Order WF by using BOR events, using an ABAP OO class as the core business code warehouse for this project. Simple functionality at this point, but it fills the requirements.

So Gavin, add (1) to that list not employed by SAP to use ABAP OO.

Bottom line, did I 'need' ABAP OO for anything I did. Absolutely not. Just to get me feet wet type experience and see what I can leverage from OO. It was actually kinda fun. A lot of digging in the SWT* packages for some simple how to code like get/set container, raise event, etc. Basic WF functionality but in OO.

Reference Jocelyn Dart "Why use ABAP OO with Workflow".
Thanks Jocelyn. Excellent tutorial to make 'something' actually work.

Rick Sample

To quote an idiot:
"There are known knowns; there are things we know we know.
  We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say, we know there are some things we do not know.
  But there are also unknown unknowns - the ones we don't know we don't know."
  - Former United States Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld
(It all makes sense... if you don't think about it.)