ABAP Objects vs. BOR to trigger event?

Mike Pokraka wug at workflowconnections.com
Fri Feb 11 05:41:13 EST 2011

Yes. Good OO practice is to make the instantiation private so this and
FIND_BY_LPOR are the only ways to instantiate the class.

What I have done is also a GET_BOR_INSTANCE instance method, just so I can
populate the WF container with the BOR instance for GOS purposes.

In general, my approach for working with existing functionality is to
leave existing stuff as is, but whenever I need to make a modification to
a BOR component I port it over to the corresponding class. I try to be as
proactive as time permits, so it's more of a jugement call than anything
else.

The GOS part is mainly a problem because the BOR object types are often
hardcoded. I did have some ideas about enhancing GOS to automatically map
BOR types to corresponding classes so it would pick up pure OO WFs, but
never had the time/opportunity/need to implement it. Unless you have
serious volumes it's a disproportionately large effort for circumventing
something as simple as having an additional container element sitting
there doing very little.

Cheers,
Mike