Deep Structures in container

Mike Pokraka wug at workflowconnections.com
Tue Apr 19 12:59:07 EDT 2011

Hi Mark,

Technically it's possible - if not ideal- but practically I don't see the
value in it. There are plenty of alternatives to prevent a material from
being used during creation. Plant/Material status fields are easy
candidates. The advantage of doing it all directly on the material is that
you have the entire history of who added what and when as opposed to a big
pile of data created by a system user.

More importantly, as you are already aware materials are complex, and
you're throwing any config-based validations and consistency controls out
of the window when you create a temporary storage concept. You either need
to duplicate this in all your input dialogs, or are headed for some
serious exception handling at posting stage.

Regards,
Mike