SAP workflows and BPM

Will Weiss williamzeevweiss at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 10:31:07 EDT 2010

Hi experts,

I'm familiar with SAP business workflow, but I understand there is a product
called NetWeaver BPM (as appears here
http://www.brsilver.com/2009/01/21/netweaver-bpm-and-saps-bpm-strategy/).
Here's the differences as I figured out so far (my main source was SAP's
site on it,
http://www.sap.com/platform/netweaver/components/sapnetweaverbpm/index.epx)
1) SAP business workflow is ABAP based, Netweaver BPM is Java Based
2) Model in SAP business workflow is done in SDD, in Netweaver BPM there's
an eclipse plugin, and the model is based on BPMN.

The main questions that I have are:
1) Are there any other differences?
2) Which product is "better" (and what do you call "better" :-) )
3) How common is Netweaver BPM compared to SAP business workflow?
4) Is SAP's future in Netweaver BPM or in SAP business workflow?
5) Which version of Netweaver includes NetWeaver BPM? Is it a basic
component of Netweaver, or an additional product?

Thanks and regards,
Will