Check For Initial Value inside a Mail Step

Ali Husain mr_mago40 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 15 15:20:26 EST 2010

Hello All,

I have a mail step embedded in an activity task. Inside the message body i have a variable of type char01 and i want to check if it's initial. I switched to the SAPscript editor and entered /: in front of the IF condition. It always take the else part and not the initial one even though the variable is initial. I've tried many different things like:
if var = ' '.
if var EQ ' '.
if var = SPACE.
IF var EQ SPACE.

None of those worked and it always take the else part. Also, i couldn't use IS INITIAL as it threw an error when i did that. I want to check if it doesn't have a value and not if it has a value.

Any idea how would i check if the variable is initial inside the message body?

Thanks a lot for the help.
Ali