SWWL_TOPLEVEL does not delete UWL entries from SWN_NOTIF

Paul.Bakker@osr.treasury.qld.gov.au Paul.Bakker at osr.treasury.qld.gov.au
Wed Aug 25 18:52:25 EDT 2010

Workflowers,

  Due to an unfortunate combination of automated testing tools and ABAP
bugs, we ended up with tens of thousands(!) of unwanted workflow instances
in our Test system.

 Following the advice of the mighty WUG, I deleted them using transaction
SWWL_TOPLEVEL. This removes the workflows 'root and branch' - workitems,
history, logs etc.

 However, it seems there is one important thing it doesn't remove - the
entries in table SWN_NOTIF. This table is used by the UWL and stores
multiple lines per workitem: one for every recipient.

 Because of this table's large size (>6m entries), our delta job for
updating the UWL (RSWNUWLSEL) is now dumping with a memory error in Test.

 As recommended by SAP note 1098805, I ran RSWNNOTIFDEL to delete the
'logically deleted' (L) entries from SWN_NOTIF. But this removed only 10%
of the entries.

  So I did some investigations. (Can someone please confirm or refute what
I have found?).
  It seems that all my *deleted* workitems live on in the SWN_NOTIF table.
These entries have status 'S' (Saved) and they will never be set to 'L'
because the workitem has been deleted, and therefore cannot be processed!

 This must be a common problem for anyone who has used SWWL_TOPLEVEL (and
UWL). Has anyone found a way to resolve it?

thanks
Paul Bakker

Only an individual or entity who is intended to be a recipient of this e-mail may access or use the information contained in this e-mail or any of its attachments.  Opinions contained in this e-mail or any of its attachments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Queensland Treasury.

The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be legally privileged and the subject of copyright.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify Queensland Treasury immediately and erase all copies of the e-mail and the attachments.  Queensland Treasury uses virus scanning software.  However, it is not liable for viruses present in this e-mail or in any attachment.