enqueue / dequeue issue in active workflow

Robert van den Berg wug at bergtop-ict.nl
Thu Sep 10 06:57:21 EDT 2009

All,

we are on ECC 6.0 and we have a workflow which has 2 parallel branches.
In branch 1, the workflow waits for a condition (existence of an
object).
In branch 2, the workflow is active and a user is working with the
workflow. This part also includes blocks.

During the active workflow session of the user in branch 2, the
condition-job is finished and the condition of the wait step in branch 1
is met. So the workflow also wants to continue with the next steps in
branch 1.

The workflow now runs in error with the message: "Workitem xxx locked by
user yyyy (enqueue error)". (where xxx = the workflow ID of the main
workflow).
The workflow is set to ERROR.  The error handling job re-processes the
workflow but it runs in error again. Using transaction SWPR, the
workflow is restarted but again, the workflow runs in error.

I checked if there are possible lock entries, but there are none.
I checked the Restart Suspended Callbacks but my workflow is not in the
list (transaction SWF_ADM_SUSPEND).

1) how can I avoid this problem from appearing?
2) how can I restart the workflow so it will not run in error?

Kind regards,
Robert

NB: it appears that the when the blocks are used, the error message
"Maximum number of 10000 nodes reached" is given but there are not more
than 10.000 nodes in the workflow log....