Wait step using correlation

Edward Diehl edwarddiehl at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 28 12:49:10 EDT 2009

Hi WUGgers,

Awhile back I asked if anyone out there had successfully implemented a correlation wait step.  I didn't get any response, so either no one has tried it or gave up when they did.

Let me encourage you to investigate the correlation mechanism - an event mechanism on steroids.  In one of our workflows here we are using it to "listen" for an inbound IDOC that applies a credit for a material return.  The IDOC object instance cannot possibly be known at the time the workflow is initiated - hence the need for a mechanism that uses anecdotal information; i.e. the FI-AR document number, which is known to the IDOC object as well as the workflow.

Well, it turns out there is a bug in the correlation mechanism.  It will be fixed in OSS 1335009, which has not yet been released.  There is however, a workaround I got from the SAP developer.  Please see the attachment.

First, create the correlation wait step and activate the workflow template.  The correlation step will fail without doing the following as outlined in the attachment:

1. Uncheck the "Use Correlation" box.
2. Using F4, select the object from the workflow container.
3. Check the "Use Correlation" box and it will take you back to your original correlation cofig.

That's it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Ed Diehl

http://windowslive.com/online/skydrive?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_skydrive_042009