SWCONT's limitations with long values...

Mike Gambier madgambler at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 21 10:30:31 EST 2008

Hi,

I'm trying to convince SAP that using a really long structure-based single line importing parameter for a BApI, that might grow and grow, isn't a smart idea because SWCONT is limited to 255 chars. My fear is that we'll hit some sort of limit somewhere which will cause problems, whether that will be in BoR elsewhere like a BAdI.

They've come back and said that swc* macros can cope with longer strings at runtime and no truncation will result. Personally I'm not convinced and can only assume that the SAP code flicks into set/get table mode to cope somehwere, but I can't seem to find where..does anyone here know whether it can do this and how?

Regardless of their suggested approach, I want to try and impress upon them that a nested unstructured approach is more suitable to our needs and something more akin to SAP's Master Data Generator table EPRODA (which assigns a type definition to an element) has more of a future in our system.

But they're being a bit stubborn about this and any ammuntion from the WUG about pitfalls when using long parameter definitions like this would be useful.

Thanks in advance,

Mike GT