ABAP-OO Workflow for PO-release

Florin Wach florin.wach at gmx.net
Thu May 8 02:50:48 EDT 2008

Hi Folk,

this is a first feedback of what's up with ABAP PO-Workflow:

The good side:
- Background tasks that previously had to calculate or evaluate something to put that back into container variables can now be eliminated with Object methods, having a "returning" parameter. This is much more convenient.
- Passing a kind-of an object into an existing workflow (previously "subtyping with system-wide delegation" works, including polymorphism (see also "bad side")
- Event creation through change documents with OO-events works fine (ECC 700)

The not-so-good-side:
- Event coupling with BOR objects needs some care but then can be used fine
- Some additional work is involved, when there's no existing object to derive from to be used in the workflow
- In Check/Receiver type function modules the object instance is passed based on a different structure than the instance constructor requires (well, basically there isn't an object instance passed at all, but only a static reference)

The bad side:
- When changing the referenced object type in a task or workflow container or when changing an interface/class within the same session, the workflow builders tends to short dumps. (but it's recoverable)
- Methods, attributes and events inherited from Interface are not recognized at all (workflow builder, runtime system, event coupling), when the interface's name does not start with IF_
- Events inherited from superclasses that do not start with CL_ are not recognized at all (though methods and attributes do)

So, that's for a quick feedback. More thumbs up than down.

Best wishes,
Florin

-------- Original-Nachricht --------