Workflow Upgrade issues (4.6c to ECC 6)

Mike Gambier madgambler at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 17 11:11:47 EDT 2008

Hi,

We're currently struggling through a rather painful upgrade process from 4.6c to ECC 6 and we've hit a few Workflow mines.

Despite several high priority OSS Messages the end result from SAP so far as been a fairly poor acknowledgement of issues that need to be addressed manually, culminating in OSS Note 1175535.
Basically we have 4 known faults at the moment. Two relating to changes not coming across from 4.6c into ECC 6 based around Workflow Container Elements and Event Linkages, which I can quite understand as the target tables ahve shifted in ECC 6. But the other two point to problems in SAP's 'mapping' process where they convert 4.6c (or older) definitions into ECC 6 syntax (Kernel 700+).

These issues are:

1. Multiline Table handling - to use these properly in loops and dynamic steps it seems you now have to use a new &WF_PARFOREACH_INDEX& element that only becomes available after 4.6c

They did suggest trying a dodgy binding switch as implemented by OSS Message 1083317, which mostly works for active instances but only as long as the 'Change Release' value on the WF version remains equal to or lower than '46C'. Not all that useful if the instances are on the current active version and that definition is then activated in the ECC 6 environment. But that doesn't actually fix the definition syntax going forward anyway.

2. Condition binding after 4.6c introduces a {TYPE=...} additional statement in SWDSCONDEF so that, for example, a hard-coded string like '31.12.9999' can be converted into a date variable at runtime to compare against an object date property. Prior to 4.6c this statement did not exist. Now it is required or else the binding is considered to be erroneous and a syntax error will result.

Has anyone esle come across upgrade-related issues other than these?

Regards,

Mike GT