Resource planning

Srinivasan Ramanan r_m_n_n at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 15 22:29:45 EST 2008

Thanks Rick,
Your template for 'functional specification' could also be a starting point for my workflow resource planning.

Thanks again
Ramanan

Subject: RE: Resource planningDate: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 10:39:38 -0600From: Rick.Sample at gbe.comTo: sap-wug at mit.edu

1. The Multiplicity Rule. 1 + 1 does not = 2 if on same project. Laws of diminishing returns. (i.e. tripping over each other)
2. From the sound of it whatever your initial guesstimate, double it!
3. Your assumption that since you are using HR org, agent assignment is a non-issue needs adjusting IMHO.

re:>> Hence agent assignments could be not that complex.
Unless you are doing the simplest 'Manager of', you are in for a surprise!

>From the sound of it, my first suggestion would be to get someone in that can do this analysis work.

Rick SampleSAP Business Workflow DeveloperGraybar, Inc.

From: sap-wug-bounces at mit.edu [mailto:sap-wug-bounces at mit.edu] On Behalf Of Srinivasan RamananSent: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 9:01 AMTo: SAP Workflow Users' GroupSubject: RE: Resource planning
Thanks Mike,I appreciate your inputs. Its really difficult to answer this question. What I did is: ( Since I am in the position to answer this to my company as an employee of the company )I assumed these followings:              10 complex workflows ( having more than 20 tasks )              30 medium                 ( 10 to 20 tasks )              60 simple                    ( less than 10 tasks ) It is decided to implement HR just for Organizational units purposes. It helps both roles and authorization management. Hence agent assignments could be not that complex. Having a time line of 6 months only for these work, I am proposing:                6 Personnels for development over  six months period                4 to 6 Personnels for maintain and administer - for support after go live Has anyone else could share some ideas if you have executed projects even not to this magnitude, but with some 10 - 20 workflows development. I need some info on how many personnels, how many workflows and how many months. It will be kind of easy to extrapolate. I do understand that it will only be an empirical value for resource planning. But we can start with min. resource and continue to agument as and when the workflows start  development phase. regardsRamanan

From: asap at workflowconnections.comTo: sap-wug at mit.eduSubject: RE: Resource planningDate: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 23:08:07 +0000

Hello Ramanan,

That’s a pretty major project, and there is a good reason all projects go through a planning phase. Faced with the same question I would estimate at least a month’s work to come up with an answer that’s anywhere near realistic.

For starters there are many factors beyond workflow that will influence your requirements, such as size and makeup of the overall project team, length of project, willingness to invest in the right skills. Are you going to employ 4+ years’ experienced consultants, or find ABAPers who have built the occasional WF, or train up inhouse staff?

Next you have the workflows themselves. I’ve built approval workflows taking from two days to over a year. Even specific workflow scenarios are no measure: an invoice approval can take 10 days at one client and 5 months at another (also based on personal experience).

You ask how many administrators? What sort of total volumes do you expect? (You obviously need to volume estimates of each of the workflows..). Do you use HR? More experienced resources building the WFs will pay off in reduced maintenance. The workflow I mentioned above created jobs for two administrators – just looking after the one WF.

Based on the info in your question, I would seriously suggest you engage an Experienced (with a capital ‘E’) consultant for at least a few days to get you started on answering it.

If you insist on a guess: 50% chance you need between 5 and 10 people, 50% chance you need more or less than that. Flip a coin to see which one.

Cheers,
Mike

From: sap-wug-bounces at mit.edu [mailto:sap-wug-bounces at mit.edu] On Behalf Of Srinivasan RamananSent: 14 January 2008 21:58To: sap-wug at mit.eduSubject: Resource planning

Dear WUG,There are 100 workflows expected to be up and running in ECC6.0Please consider that it is not know exactly what are the workflows now.But please consider that workflows will be used for create and maintain of all major master data objects and pretty much for regular task distributions like PO release, invoice processing etc., My questions are: How many personnels are required at the Development phase for these 100 workflows? How may personnels are required for 'maintain' and 'administer' the workflows?  Anyone who worked at this level, please I value your inputs very much.Please respond with your experiences and emprical calculations. thanks in advance.Ramanan

Make distant family not so distant with Windows Vista® + Windows Live™. Start now!

Get the power of Windows + Web with the new Windows Live. Get it now!