Data archiving guidelines

Ashish Nagpal nameisashish at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 04:17:59 EST 2008

hi Karri

I have worked with WORKITEM in few of my clients requirement with which i
have taken creation data to archive this.
For your issue: Yes you are right, when we archive data through creation
data or some other criteria it will archive unneccary data which is not
required but if you see the archiving concept then this will be a use full,
as this will give lot of space in our database.
My comments are that you should not worry about the issue of archiving and
deleting the data that is not required since it will be helpful in give lot
of space to your system. As per your requirement you can retrieve the
information agent for creation so nothing to be worried.

-Thanks,
ashish

On 2/3/08, Karri Kemppi <karri.kemppi at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi all,
>

> I am currently in the process of estimating the data archiving of work
> items. Transaction SARA, the archiving object WORKITEM, and the process of
> data archiving are familiar to me.
>

> We have multiple different workflow processes running. The requirements
> for archiving/retention etc. have not yet been defined, but I assume that
> the information, which must be available the next N amount of years, is the
> approval related information of the documents within the workflows (who
> approved travel expense X in year 2006, etc.).
>

> In many scenarios this kind of information is already stored in the
> application/document itself – you can see who has changed the status of a
> document to approved, etc. This leads to the fact that it is just a few
> document types, for which you need to go into the workflow log to find out
> the agent of a certain (approval) task. And this leads to the situation,
> that if you use the standard archiving object WORKITEM, you are archiving
> lots of unnecessary data. It would be just the few workflow types that
> require archiving, since their documents' approval data is only available in
> the workflow log.
>

> How do you handle this? Do you just archive everything? Or do you for
> example build your workflows at the first place in a way that all the
> relevant data is stored (also) in somewhere else (where?) than the work item
> tables (and then you don't have to archive the work items permanently - just
> delete them)?
>

> Any discussion & guidelines regarding this issue are most welcome.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Karri

life is all about the moments that take ur heart away