ABAP-OO Workflow: _WI_RESULT not shown, no outcomes

Florin Wach florin.wach at gmx.net
Thu Dec 4 11:04:56 EST 2008

Hello Wuggies,

I'm a bit of frustrated that something in the editor seems not to be working, so I wonder, what's wrong here:

I have declared a functional method in an ABAP Class based on IF_WORKFLOW. Let's name it "Decision" for the moment.
This method has on RETURNING parameter, based on a data element that is based on a dictionary domain having three fixed values:  A B and C.  (Single characters).

No, when you create a task, based on that functional method, it generates container element, where the element DECISION has that specially curled arrow arround that sqare box, showing that this is a result parameter. So making the dataflow between task container <-> method container is working fine.

When putting this task into a workflow pattern, the only thing shown as outcome is  "Step executed" ... and not, which I'd expected, the outcomes  A, B and C.

Now back in the task definition, I went to the container tab and used the super-special-button "Create result element", that comes up with a dialog, generating a  _WI_RESULT  ... This seems to be okay. The message says  "Result element created", but actually it isn't shown in the task container.
A few tries up, down, left and right brought me to the point that I finally had a container element _WI_RESULT referring to that data element I'd use.

The workflow still doesn't offer additional outcomes, only "Step executed".

When editing the task again in change mode, that element _WI_RESULT has disappeared.

We're on ECC 6.00 SAPKB70014

Did ANYONE ever has successfully used functional method with workitem-result based on fixed domain values??

Thanks for any ideas,
   Florin