ECC 6.0 SWW_CONTOB Logical System name not being updated properly

Mike Pokraka wug at workflowconnections.com
Tue Apr 8 09:09:21 EDT 2008

Hi (back again) Mike,

OK, as much as I enjoy a good rant against SAP when they come up with some
rather questionable designs (don't get me started on LSO!), I'm actually
still on their side on this one:

Whilst a LPOR is Local, GUID is a Globally Unique IDentifier - the
emphasis here being on Global. Hence there should not be a need for remote
instances. The philosophy has changed, the responsibility for 'remoteness'
has shifted from workflow to the application. This is particularly the
case when you start using persistent classes which do their own instance
management. So WF instantiates a Class ZCL_MYDOCUMENT with a 32 character
GUID/key. The *class* then decides whether the object is remote and goes
off and instantiates it via RFC if necessary. Workflow no longer cares.
This is essentially also part of what SOA is all about.

My experience on remote objects is very limited, I dabbled in some CRM-R/3
stuff a while back. What I remember is to the effect that the GUID for a
document can be a key to a table that tells you where the real document
resides. Details are a bit hazy but it worked.

I say this is good, because abstracting the business data from the
underlying storage was one of the original goals of BOR. Workflow doesn't
know or care what tables the data is in. GUIDs take this concept one step
further: Workflow no longer knows or cares what system the data lives in.
And so it should be.

I think why you are finding this particularly annoying is becuase you're
skipping a major version on your upgrade. The SWW_CONT* tables have been
obsolete for several years, I think since 4.6. OK, the XML stuff has some
small drawbacks, but overall I found it is indeed faster for individual
container accesses.

Cheers,
Mike