Users as WF Admins?

Paul.Bakker@osr.treasury.qld.gov.au Paul.Bakker at osr.treasury.qld.gov.au
Wed May 9 17:14:38 EDT 2007

Sherie,

Wow - I've never thought of giving users access to SWI1. The interface is
so technical and ugly.

Our users typically just track down workflows by using GOS (generic object
services) from a document's display screen.

I've shown the (more sophisticated) business support staff how to run
SWI2_FREQ, which gives you a much better breakdown.

--

John,

In my experience, it's the job of the WF Admin to check for reserved
workitems (usually detected as old, uncompleted workitems), and 'educate'
the users.

It;s usually only an issue in the early days of workflow rollout. The users
soon realise that reserved items don't go away, clog up the inbox!

cheers
Paul

|         |           "Munday,Sherie   |
|         |           J."              |
|         |           <MUNDAYSJ at airprod|
|         |           ucts.com>        |
|         |           sap-wug-bounces at m|
|         |           it.edu           |
|         |           10/05/2007 06:27 |
|         |           "SAP Workflow    |
|         |           Users' Group"    |
  |                                                                                                                               |
  |       To:       "SAP Workflow Users' Group" <sap-wug at mit.edu>                                                                 |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                     |
  |       Subject:  RE: Users as WF Admins?                                                                                       |

John,
I would not allow users Workflow Administrator access... that can be
dangerous.  It is best to do thorough training for your users so that they
realize how they might reserve a work item and that it is their
responsibility to release it.  Personal responsibility goes a long way to
improving processes!!

You could also give your users access to SWI1 (the user's version of SWIA)
where they can view workflow logs if they are searching for a "missing"
work item and could see the offending user.  When coworkers can see the
"guilty" party, people tend to police themselves rather well.

Best of Luck,
Sherie

Sherie Munday
Workflow Developer/Analyst