Workflow Configuration

Mike Gambier madgambler at hotmail.com
Tue May 1 12:32:41 EDT 2007

Sherie,

We have multiple development codestreams and at go-live the SWU3 number
range setting was overlooked. Consequently we had overlapping Workflows and
Tasks with the same IDs as time went on and people developed new stuff. This
caused havoc when we eventually merged the codestreams, for example when we
implemented maintenance releases or mini-projects.

The 'new' versions of the Workflows and Tasks simply overwrote the 'old'
versions with some impressively disastrous consqeunces. For example,
existing instances of Workflows tripped up with nasty feedback errors when
they attempted to call Tasks that had been replaced with completely
different versions (using completely different objects).

In the end I had to determine the overlap, change the SWU3 settings for our
dev environments immediately (so '950' for Fix on Fail environment, '951'
for Maintenance Release, '952' for Projects, etc.), clone the 'new' stuff to
reincarnate them with new IDs and transport the clones across asap.

A few SWETYPV settings had to be amended too to take account of the WF ID
changes.

Quite a mess but we learned our lesson.

By the sounds of it your 'Support' environment is running in parallel with
your baseline development environment, is that right? Presumably you bug fix
in support (for speed?), transport from there into production but follow
that up with a development code fix afterwards? If so then you may end up
with redundant Tasks and Workflow versions in production if your SWU3 number
ranges in your support and development environments are different, but they
wouldn't do any harm apart from possibly confusing your support people a
bit. The only issue I'd worry about is the possibility of introducing human
error when copying the support fix across to your development environment
when filling in the blanks (e.g. manually changing binding definitions).

Of course if you transport your support changes down to your development
system as well as up to your production system then the SWU3 settings being
different shouldn't be a problem.

Mike GT