How to launch both Abap & Java WD applications from UWL for the same system?

Prasath Natesan prassath.natesan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 08:04:56 EST 2007

Hi All,
I am trying out a prototype to launch webdynpro applications from the UWL.
As a prototype version i am trying out the possibility of launching both
Java and ABAP WD applications. For this i have created two tasks - First one
(TS90000001) to launch a Java WD application and second one (TS90000002) to
launch an ABAP WD application. I have also created the necessary SWFVISU
entries and registered the items.

In my system configuration for the WAS settings if i mention the WAS host
name as "<Portal server name>:<Portal port number>" my WD4Java application
works fine but my Wd4Abap application throws up a "404   Not Found" error.
If i mention the WAS host name as "<R/3 server name>:<R/3 port number>" then
my WD4Abap application works fine but now my WD4Java application throws up
an error "Service cannot be reached".

I think this is happening because the portal tries to launch the application
from the different WAS than the original source. Now my quesion is how do i
achieve a setting where both ABAP and Java WD applications can be launched
from UWL for the respective items (from the same R/3 system)?

I understand that there is an option of launching the WD4Abap application by
encapsulating it in an iview. But is there a way to launch both the WD
applications directly? If launching through iview is the only solution then
how do we retrieve the workitem id inside my WD4Abap application.

Thanks & Regards,
Prasath N