SAP and other folks "Best Practices"

Ron Adkins radkins1 at surewest.net
Tue Dec 4 16:23:19 EST 2007

Hello Everyone,

It has fallen to my team to "Sanity Check" a request from Management to automate some of our workflow processes in the HR Instance.

Currently, many of our processes have an ADOBE form that is completed for various personnel actions by a manager in MSS.  These are

routed via workflow to a "One Up" manager for approval and then on to a services team who sort and process these from the various workflow

Inboxes.  The new process would remove the services team and populate the data directly into the system by loading the personnel data along with the

Changes into the BDC table and then calling the function module to update the SAP Employee data directly in R/3.

Some of the processes include:

Salary Changes

Job Code Changes

Location Changes

Title and Position Changes

Is anyone else going this far with MSS / ESS automations?  It has been suggested that SAP does not recommend that Salary and some personnel changes be

Automated and updated without a review layer in between.  Anyone seen any white papers or recommendations stating this?  We are a bit weary of the data integrity

issues associated with this request and I am very interested in what you folks think.

Thank you for your time,

Ron Adkins

Sr. SAP Analyst

Nortel