Where have all the folders gone?

Mike Pokraka asap at workflowconnections.com
Wed Aug 22 08:52:18 EDT 2007

Hello Wuggers,

Question about the difference between SOFM and the newer BCS classes (620
here):

Traditional SOFM attachments use folders within SapOffice. For various
reasons I am avoiding SOFM and using CL_DOCUMENT_BCS instead. However SOFM
stores it's documents in a folder and BCS stuff doesn't (although it once
did).

This is still fine when we create an attachment using BCS: Simply attach
it to WF as a SOFM object with a blank folder in the key and all works as
it should.

The other way round this is a problem: if an attachment is created
manually or by WF then this is done using SOFM (at least here on 620)
which will create it in a folder.
This is bad, because CL_DOCUMENT_BCS doesn't use folders, so the
SOFM-created attachment cannot be read using BCS. Some old code is still
in CL_DOCUMENT_BCS which *used to* work the same as SOFM but this has been
commented out.

This is creating a really annoying inconsistency around a simple piece of
functionality - has anyone had to deal with this before?

Any input appreciated,
Mike