Correlation Editor

Edward Diehl edwarddiehl at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 16 08:48:02 EDT 2007

Hi Alon,
That's what I assumed - sort of like the process that evaluates start conditions, but the documentation says that an actual event is raised - just like event wait steps, I guess.  I have not had a chance to build a sample to test this.

You will probably get a chance to play with this before I do.  If so, please let me know what you find.

Thanks,
Ed

Subject: RE: Correlation EditorDate: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 13:53:04 -0400From: araskin at 3i-consulting.comTo: sap-wug at mit.edu

So is there some sort of batch job that runs on a periodic basis and evaluates these correlations?

Alon Raskin
e: araskin at 3i-consulting.com
p: +1 207 523 3489
c: +1 207 409 4983
f:  +1 806 403-4983

From: sap-wug-bounces at mit.edu [mailto:sap-wug-bounces at mit.edu] On Behalf Of Mowry, Douglas Sent: Friday, April 13, 2007 11:05 AMTo: SAP Workflow Users' GroupSubject: RE: Correlation Editor

That’s true.  We use them in XI to collect groups of files form an external non-SAP system.  Once the correlation detects all appropriate files, it then allows the workflow to continue (in this case, processing a file based interface )

Doug Mowry

From: sap-wug-bounces at mit.edu [mailto:sap-wug-bounces at mit.edu] On Behalf Of Griffiths, MarkSent: Friday, April 13, 2007 10:42 AMTo: SAP Workflow Users' GroupSubject: RE: Correlation Editor

I think the correlations are fairly widely used in the XI BPM engine (which creates an underlying workflow on the backend).

Regards,

Mark

From: sap-wug-bounces at mit.edu [mailto:sap-wug-bounces at mit.edu] On Behalf Of Alon RaskinSent: 13 April 2007 12:10To: SAP Workflow Users' GroupSubject: RE: Correlation Editor
Wow Ed. That is an excellent explanation. Thank you.

I may have a use for this for one of my current clients. If I do end up using it I will let you know.

Be great if there was an example in the system. I will see if I can find one….

Thanks for your response.

Alon

From: sap-wug-bounces at mit.edu [mailto:sap-wug-bounces at mit.edu] On Behalf Of Edward DiehlSent: Thursday, April 12, 2007 3:53 PMTo: SAP Workflow Users' GroupSubject: RE: Correlation Editor

Alon,I have not yet had a chance to use correlations, but here is a real-life scenario where I really needed such a mechanism. The application was this:  a customer calls with a complaint about some material he received.  A workflow is started to process the complaint.  The complaint cannot be evaluated until the material is received so a workflow step creates a Return Material and notifies the customer and the service person.  At this point it would be really nice (maybe) for the workflow to listen for the Goods Receipt.  However, since the workflow knows nothing about the Goods Receipt object (since it has not been created yet) it has nothing to listen for. Now, the Goods Receipt transaction (whenever it occurs) will reference the Return Material which the workflow does know about.  The correlation will hold a reference to the Return Material document and the Goods Receipt object.  The SAP program that scans the correlations will match the Return Material document number with the Goods Receipt object and raise the "event" and pass the Goods Receipt document id back to the workflow.  The workflow can then continue to whomever is responsible for checking the quality of the returned material and either approve or reject the customer complaint.  Too cool!I hope I've explained this sufficiently.  Let me know if I've left a gap. I am eagerly looking for an opportunity to use a correlation.

Hi Everyone,

I stumbled upon this a while back and I was wondering if anyone has actually used this. I read the online help but that didn't help too much.

I would be curious if anyone has used this and under what circumstances.

In transaction SWDD go to the menu Environment->Development->Correlation Editor.

Here is what the SAP says:

A correlation enables you to identify objects that belong together, for example, a quotation and the relevant sales order. This involves correlating the objects by using one or more common elements, for example, the quotation number. When you define a Workflow, you can specify the object that the Workflow must wait for, without having to enter the ID of the object.

While I can see that this is useful, why not simply enhance a sub-type of quotation so that it contains an attribute called Sales Order? That way the attribute can be re-used for multiple workflows.

I am sure I am missing something here....

Regards,

Alon Raskin
e: araskin at 3i-consulting.com