Deadlines based on factory calendar - is The Book wrong?

Paul.Bakker@osr.treasury.qld.gov.au Paul.Bakker at osr.treasury.qld.gov.au
Thu Sep 28 03:13:09 EDT 2006

Hello all,

We have a requirement to calculate the deadline for a workitem (eg Latest
Start) based on the Factory Calendar.

For example, if the workitem was created on a Thursday and the 'Latest
Start' deadline is +3 days, then it should be triggered on the following
Tuesday (not Sunday). In other words, it should only take working days into
account.

Surprisingly, SAP standard does not cater for this scenario. I therefore
implemented the solution suggested in the The Book, in Appendix A9. It
shows you how to create a custom deadline object based on the factory
calendar, and use the expression ZDEADLINE.DATE as the reference date in
the step.

Surprisingly (again), this solution DOES NOT work. Deadlines are triggered
without taking weekends into account.

When I had a closer look at it, I noticed that the Factory Calendar is only
being used to determine the Workitem _Creation Date_; it is not being used
to calculate the Latest Start Date. The book even seems to concede this:

      "Note that the reference date gives the date based on the factory
calendar, but any offset will simply be added to the reference date as
normal".

If this really is the case, then what is the point of implementing this
solution?

Has anyone gotten it to work? I'm sure it must be me... sigh.

cheers
Paul

Only an individual or entity who is intended to be a recipient of this e-mail may access or use the information contained in this e-mail or any of its attachments.  Opinions contained in this e-mail or any of its attachments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Queensland Treasury.

The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be legally privileged and the subject of copyright.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify Queensland Treasury immediately and erase all copies of the e-mail and the attachments.  Queensland Treasury uses virus scanning software.  However, it is not liable for viruses present in this e-mail or in any attachment.