Locking issue in workflow with conseutive database update steps

Her, Merta MHer at tqs.com
Mon Nov 20 16:38:49 EST 2006

Dear Workflower,

This is my first question posted in this forum, hopefully this is the
right way and I am using the right format....

We are in ECC 5.0 and release 6.40. We went live for SAP in February and
we are currently using workflow in PLM module for DMS and ECM.

We have been facing this locking issue randomly happened in our
production and quality system. The error from workflow log is "Document
XXXX is locked by WF-BATCH". I have two steps in workflow one is to
update the document user( from originator to editor with custom BO
"zdraw" new method "setuser") and the next step is to update the
document status( BO "zdraw" "setstatus" method which inherited form
standard BO "draw").

I have tried to use "wait" statement(1st try), "BAPI_DOCUMENT_ENQUEUE",
"BAPI_DOCUMENT_DEQUEUE" (2nd try) and  "Commit work and wait" (3rd try)
to add one step in between, however the issue remains.

The other question I had was we need to write "commit work" when we use
BAPI to perform database update in the ABAP program. But I don't see
"commit work" in the method of BO(for example "setstatus" in "draw"
object) which performs database update. How does workflow perform DB
update properly without "commit work" by referencing standard method?

Could anyone please share your expertise with the issue I am facing?

Thank you in advance,
Merta