Calling Excel OLE Methods from the Universal Work List

SAP_WUG@acdi-cida.gc.ca SAP_WUG at acdi-cida.gc.ca
Tue Jun 6 16:10:54 EDT 2006

Hello to all of you WUG members,

I am trying to edit an excel file from the portal (it starts as a work item
from the Universal Work List).  I'm using the OLE interface as follows:

  CREATE OBJECT excel 'Excel.Application'.
  CALL METHOD OF excel 'Workbooks' = workbook.

  CALL METHOD OF workbook 'Open'
    EXPORTING
      #1 = filename.

  SET PROPERTY OF excel  'Visible' = 0.

  CONCATENATE firstname lastname INTO cons SEPARATED BY space.

  CALL METHOD OF excel 'CELLS' = cell
    EXPORTING
      #1 = 4
      #2 = 2.

  SET PROPERTY OF cell 'VALUE' = cons no flush.

//Lots of code for cell editing and then Save

  CALL METHOD OF workbook 'Save'.
  IF sy-subrc = 0.
    filename_out = filename.
  ENDIF.

//Some clean up

This code works perfectly when run within R/3 but from the portal I get a
sy-subrc = 2 when calling 'Open'.  This excel file is saved on the user's
local directory.

We are currently using EP 6, R/3 4.7 and Windows XP as the user's frontend.

I've been able to open the document with method
cl_gui_frontend_services=>execute but I can't find any method to perform a
cell-by-cell editing of my excel document.

Your help is very much appreciated.