Agent determination - best practice

Mike Pokraka wug.replies at workflowconnections.com
Thu Feb 16 03:23:13 EST 2006

Hi Andy,
Good question, and I don't think there's a clear answer. It depends on
your business, your org chart and various other factors. Position-based
substitution as you describe it will only work if your user exists in two
positions (one for HR one for FI). Most companies don't work that way - a
user only holds one position. Positions are great because they are
user-independent. But they only work if our WF routes to positions.

Sometimes it HAS to be a user. e.g. Document creator, regardless of where
they've moved in the company. This becomes more relevant if you're talking
year-long contracts. You might need to resolve positions to users to
ensure limits are applied *per individual* to counter cases where someone
is (temporarily) assigned to multiple positions. So values of 100 for
position 1 and 200 for position 2 still makes a total of 300 if it's the
same user.

As you can see there are business cases for both, so I think it's a
rule-by-rule basis. The way I see it you will never get completely away
from US agents, so personal subs should always be maintained regardless of
whether you use position subs for some flows.

Cheers
Mike