Inbox messages sent by WF-BATCH with no Expiry Date.

Rick Sample Rick.Sample at gbe.com
Wed Sep 14 09:27:33 EDT 2005

Hey Mark,
Just a brief re-cap. 4.6c.

1.
Setup SO16 to run RSSORE02. Daily Reorg. Only deletes "Read" messages of type RAW and trash. We use 120 days for cleanup.

2.
Schedule RSSORE00 monthly, weekly, whatever. Depends on volume. Range of dates accepted and range of doc types.
This program cleans up a lot of links to messages, attachments, pigeon droppings, etc. Still only deletes "Read" messages.
(These two programs will not remove any messages that are un-read)

3.
Run RSSODFRE and RSSODLWF - Dark Folder cleanup programs. We run this when we run the RSSORE02.
These cleanup more pigeon droppings and messages "Sent" from WF-BATCH. "Dark Folders", what a name!

4.
Apply OSS Note 862985. Program name RSS0DOLD. Modifiable for how you want it to work.
This program will delete messages based on "Create Date". Has options to skip certain folders like Private Folders, etc.
We are still trying to get policy and procedure approval from business folks.
i.e. Communications to the field that on some date the users will have to move any messages they want to Private folder and
change the Expiry date greater than 120 if they really want to keep.

5.
We requested a fix to get WF-Batch to populate the Expiry Date. Will post when we get it and reminds me to poke someone
with a cattle prod.
>From my understanding, this was changed because most customers did not want the system to auto delete messages.
(Funny, I was never notified of this change and no update in docs in SAP!)

Note:
The use of RSS0DOLD is what we really need for users that get sent messages and never delete or read.
After 120 days and not moved to Private Folder, Delete! This alone will reduce our messages by approx. 95%.

I was told that newer versions have many more options for managing SAP Office.
Can anyone confirm?

All in all, this "adventure" cost me over a month of my time. If anyone wants info just ask. More than happy to share.

Rick Sample
SAP Workflow Analyst/Developer
Graybar, Inc.
11885 Lackland Rd.
63146-4208
314.573.5822
Rick.Sample at GBE.com

>>> mark.pyc at gmail.com 9/14/2005 3:14 >>>
G'day Rick,
How'd you get on with this issue. I'm performing a quick review at anew customer and they have had exactly the same concerns. In May 2004they raised an OSS query and we also told they were the only customerto request this functionality.
I'm not on site long enough to perform much testing. Did any of thelisted reports get you out of trouble? The interface to each of themseems fairly limited.
They have scheduled RSSORE00, RSSORE02 and RSSOEXDA and still havetheir internal problem record open - so it seems people still aren'thappy.
Have fun,Mark
On 7/12/05, Rick Sample <Rick.Sample at gbe.com> wrote:> > > Bruno,> > We will be requesting SAP to fix the Expiry Date issue(s) for WF-BATCH > > if we cannot do some of the maintenance we want automatically or by batch. > > That is, after I do a little more digging. The more I dig, the more> questions > > I come up with. ;-} I will let you know what we get back if you want. > >  > > RSSODFRE:> > We know about RSSODFRE. > > From my understanding, this kills some WF-BATCH "folders". > >  > > RSSODLWF: > > I just started reviewing. This looks like it deletes only Dark "files". Yes?> I assume these are all safe to remove since no one can see these messages> anyway? > >  > > RSSOEXDA:> > I also noticed that nothing happens to the users inbox until they log in and> > then it appears to start the delete process. Which is why we started this > > review due to the wonderful Hourglass and delay in launching SWBP. > > This does not help us for those who never login or don't login regular!
 ly. > > The title of this program mentions only the Outbox. > > Are you saying that applying the note will do more that just the Outbox? > >  > > I will review these notes. Any other tips or info you have is very much> appreciated.> > Our goal is to get Expiry Date issue working the way we assumed (and was> told) it was to work. > > If it worked the way we thought it was to work we wouldn't be in this> predicament.> >  Thanks!>  >  >  > Rick Sample> SAP Workflow Analyst/Developer> Graybar, Inc.> 11885 Lackland Rd.> 63146-4208> 314.573.5822> Rick.Sample at GBE.com> > >>> Bruno.Magnani at Equistarchem.com 7/12/2005 10:41 >>>> > > > Rick,> >  > > You're not alone. I'm currently in discussion with SAP to get this issue> addressed as well. Messages without expiration date are generated throughout> the system, which makes maintenance of SAP office a big problem. For the> moment you can use program RSSODLWF to clean up the so-called dark folder,> which contains the messages send by ao W!
 F-BATCH. The program only works by> year and does not consider the exp
iration date at all. See OSS note 131031> for some more info.> > For users in general the expiration of messages only kicks in when the> office folder is accessed through SAP; not too many batch users visit their> outbox J and some/most online users do not feel that urge. You can use> program RSSOEXDA (see OSS note 431801) to address this issue. The program> has a 'workaround' for the missing expiration date; in case the expiration> date is missing the create/change date is used instead to select/delete> obsolete messages.> > Etc, etc etc**..   > >  > > Bruno Magnani  > >  > > -----Original Message-----> From: sap-wug-bounces at mit.edu [mailto:sap-wug-bounces at mit.edu] On Behalf Of> Rick Sample> Sent: Tuuesday, July 12, 2005 7:38 AM> To: sap-wug at mit.edu> Subject: re: Inbox messages sent by WF-BATCH with no Expiry Date.> Subject: re: Inbox messages sent by WF-BATCH with no Expiry Date.> > > >  > > > I just got an answer back from SAP. We appear to be the only > > > customer that !
 uses this functionality. I was wondering why I never > > > got any replies!> > >  > > > So, if no other customers use this functionality, I guess the next question > > > would be how do customers manage these SAP Inbox messages? > > > Do they just let users manages their own inbox messages, or are messages > > > sent to something other than SAP Inbox like MS Outlook, ?. > > >  > > > At this point, I am just looking for some info so I can pass on to> management.> > >  > > > Thanks!> > >  > > >  > > > Rick Sample> SAP Workflow Analyst/Developer> Graybar, Inc.> 11885 Lackland Rd.> 63146-4208> 314.573.5822> Rick.Sample at GBE.com> > >  > > >  > > > =============================================> > > I applied SAP Note 591430 to get the Expiry Date added to all > > > messages sent in the system. > > >  > > > If a dialog user creates a message it stamps Expiry with correct date. > > >  > > > Problem:> > > Any messages from WF-BATCH are not being set with any Expiry Date so > > > we h!
 ave no way of auto-deleting these messages. ?> > > (Growing by the day
 and system performance issues!)> > >  > > >  > > > If anyone that can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.> > >  > > > 4..6c> > >  > _______________________________________________> SAP-WUG mailing list> SAP-WUG at mit.edu> http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/sap-wug> > >