Outlook integration with SAP

Chatterjee, Partha (US - San Ramon) pchatterjee at DELOITTE.com
Thu May 12 15:00:52 EDT 2005

Hi All,

I have implemented various forms of Outlook integration before, however,
I am curious if the following is possible (we are on 4.7, will be
installing UWL blah blah blah):

1) Send Workitem to Outlook (using RSWUWFML2 most likely)
2) Have a URL execute the R/3 transaction (via SAP Portal most likely)
that drives you to the appropriate document data.

Restrictions/Assumptions:

1) R/3 GUI will not be installed on the desktop where this Outlook
message is sent.

2) Outlook will not be installed as an app inside of SAP Portals.

Possible solution(?):

1) Since this transaction will originate in R/3, I will be inserting the
URL in the long text of the tasks in question.  My guess is that one of
the few ways of doing this would be to dynamically change the URL in
Workflow via a method to contain the correct parameters for the
underlying transaction code prior to the task which is meant to executed
in R/3.

2) This dynamically constructed URL will essentially be a custom iView
of the backend R/3 transaction but with enough parameters to drive to
the right transaction code + specific document record.

Clients always seem to want this but without SAP on the desktop
(otherwise we could just use RSWUWFML2 to send an executable attachment)
I don't think there is a straightforward way of doing this.  And for the
most part they do not want to make Outlook an inside of Portal.

Any thoughts or experience on doing this?

With regards,
Partha

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message.  Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.