Event queue: Events per read access

Kjetil Kilhavn kjetilk at statoil.com
Tue Mar 22 02:32:58 EST 2005

Thanks. I could have phrased my question better, but you read very well
between the lines :-)

The value currently used is finely tuned so that in our test system (for
the most heavily loaded production system) the job takes around 55 seconds
when there are enough events. I expect it to run much faster in production
since the hardware there for application as well as DB servers are much
better, but the program deletes it's own job logs so getting statistics
isn't easy. On average the production system runs jobs in roughly one third
of the time, but the variations are big. Guess I'll have to postpone the
job that creates most events one morning (or be at work at 05:00 to watch
it "live").

I'll reduce it to 60 events per read access for now and see if the delays
are acceptable.

By the way: we are on 46C and here the program didn't care if two instances
ran at the same time - so it is possible that it also delivered the events
twice when that happened.
--
Kjetil Kilhavn

                    Michael
                    Pokraka              To:     "SAP Workflow Users' Group" <sap-wug at mit.edu>
                    <workflow at qui        cc:     (bcc: Kjetil Kilhavn)
                    rky.me.uk>           Subject:     Re: Event queue: Events per read access
                    Sent by:
                    sap-wug-bounc
                    es at mit.edu

                    21.03.2005
                    17:48
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "SAP Workflow
                    Users' Group"

Hi Kjetil,
My rather unscientific answer is "it depends".
There's all the other stuff you can adjust about servers groups, load
balancing
etc. You could even run a dedicated WF server :-) Also depends on the types
of
flows and what they do.

If the processing takes longer than a minute, the jobs can overlap. I have
had
some fun with this on a 4.6something system, they get confused and can end
up
delivering the same event twice. SM37 is your friend here, my best guess is
the
maximum that keeps the queue job's runtime below a safe 30 seconds. However
if
it's all heavy dialog processing you may end up hogging all available
dialog
sessions, so watch out for that as well. 0.5 WPS sounds a reasonable
starting
point.

Cheers
Mike