Transaction message lost in UWL

Kjetil Kilhavn kjetilk at statoil.com
Wed Mar 9 04:11:53 EST 2005

By all means, I find SAP much more reasonable than Microsoft. SAP will
normally reply to messages, and there aren't many problems with SAP
compared to the crap they distribute from Seattle. Last, but definitely not
least - SAP does usually not actively prevent you from customising things.
My excuses to everyone in SAP - it probably came across too harsh.

However, "works as designed" is really not an answer - who believes in
error-free designs? It is an answer suitable when you don't really have
anything to support your conclusion that there is nothing wrong with your
solution. In short, it is an answer one could expect from Microsoft. Can't
open Office 95 documents in Office 2003? Sir, it works just as designed.
Can't install Windows on DR-DOS? Sir, that is just as we designed it (as
was later proven).

I can reply the same to the inquiries here when they say something doesn't
work as it should.  I can even say "works exactly as you specified it"
sometimes. If I do that the answer will come back quick, telling me either
to change the design or that they are changing the specification.
--
Kjetil Kilhavn

                    Michael
                    Pokraka              To:     "SAP Workflow Users' Group" <sap-wug at mit.edu>
                    <workflow at qui        cc:     (bcc: Kjetil Kilhavn)
                    rky.me.uk>           Subject:     Re: Transaction message lost in UWL
                    Sent by:
                    sap-wug-bounc
                    es at mit.edu

                    08.03.2005
                    15:35
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "SAP Workflow
                    Users' Group"

The good news is that cProjects has exactly the message console that you're
after, with a few extra goodies. I think it may also be in CRM, but I've
hardly
touched the web side of it.
The UWL problem is not strictly the UWL - it calls a SAP transaction in a
WinGUI frame of the browser, which in turn executes the work item. When the
WI
is done, it shows the message "WI executed...". I agree I have experienced
the
MS attitude from SAP before, but in their defence so far they're being
reasonable enough about it. In fact, most usefully they've described the
problem in more detail: there is no guarantee of the transaction returning
message, so _something_ needs to be displayed. So it is a bit of a tricky
one.

Thanks for your feedback,
Mike
(running on SuSE Linux since giving up viruses a long time ago)
Oh, Lotus Notes? ... that mailer that cannot sort by subject (!) and is a
PITA
to try to file replies with the original message... don't get me started :
-)

--- Kjetil Kilhavn <kjetilk at statoil.com> wrote:

> For what it is worth: I agree. Of course the more specific message from
the
> transaction is most important.
> We don't use UWL, so I don't know much about it. It would be better if
you
> had a "message console" with a short message history. It could even drain
> itself by setting a timer to remove the message after a minute to avoid
> confusing users who return to the UWL after doing something else for a
> while.
>
> I can tell SAP has learned something from their co-operation with
> Microsoft. The art of saying: we know best.
> They just need a " - so sod off!" at the end to make the arrogance
> complete.
> --
> Kjetil Kilhavn - who uses SuSE Linux at home since IBM gave up on OS/2
(if
> only they would port SOM and WPS to Linux...)
>

>                     Michael

>                     Pokraka              To:     SAP Workflow User Group
> <sap-wug at mit.edu>
>                     <workflow at qui        cc:     (bcc: Kjetil Kilhavn)

>                     rky.me.uk>           Subject:     Transaction message
> lost in UWL
>                     Sent by:

>                     sap-wug-bounc

>                     es at mit.edu

>                     07.03.2005

>                     17:15

>                     Please

>                     respond to

>                     "SAP Workflow

>                     Users' Group"

> Hi all,
> An annoying 'feature' of the UWL is that it doesn't display a
transaction's
> message when a WI is executed. Instead of e.g. "Document 5200011111
> posted", it
> comes back with "Work item executed (new processing status:
"Completed")".