deadline monitoring loop

Rick Sample Rick.Sample at gbe.com
Thu Jun 23 17:06:21 EDT 2005

RSWWDHEX was executing twice for the exact same time.
So every 3 minutes I have two RSWWDHEX starting at the exact same time

with no WFs with DMs.
I can only assume this was not set correctly. How, I do not know,
but looking at the code we have a comment in there about this issue.
I deleted one of them in SM37 and seems to have fixed the locking
issue.

Depending on the settings for the batch RSWWDHEX
from my understanding you can have a few different setups.
1. None.
2. RSWWDHEX running Periodically "Optional: Schedule permanent deadline
monitoring" like every 20 mins.
3. RSWWDHEX running "Schedule backgr. job for case-specific deadline
monitoring".
4. RSWWDHEX running Periodically "Optional: Schedule permanent deadline
monitoring" like every 20 mins.  And
    RSWWDHEX running "Schedule backgr. job for case-specific deadline
monitoring".

Looks like we have both running. Periodically and per task instance.
I started a WF with a DM on it and then looked at SM37.

Sure enough I had a new batch started for each WF task with DM and the
normal 20 min run.
So this could be thousands of this RSWWDHEX in queue and running at the
same time for this setup. Yes?

What is the norm? Just run the batch Periodically "Optional: Schedule
permanent deadline monitoring" like every 20 mins
and call it a day or is there some reason to have both?

I am just trying to understand what is going on under the covers...
Thanks!

>>> Jeff at Business-Workflow.com 6/23/2005 9:57 >>>
Rick,

Hopefully I can answer some of your questions from My
observations. DM is a large part of WF, so if there is a
big problem with the RSWWDHEX pgm then have a talk with
the Basis guys, my pgm. runs in less then a second or two.
You would not normally set the DM to run every 3 mins
unless you had some deadlines that were set to expire in
less than say 30 mins. I have a DM on one of mine now that
is set for 4 hrs, so I have the pgm run every 10 mins. If
your DM's are by Days, then just set the DM to the
highest, 99 mins, & the pgm to kick it maybe every few
hrs. And it is just one batch pgm not thousands that
trigger.

1) Haven't seen this happen, but try upping the Pgm time &
speaking to Basis.
2) Table SWDSSTEPS looks like a Definition table of the
Tasks in your system & isn't per instance of steps. So it
should stay around 9,000 unless you start creating more
custom tasks. It doesn't just define the DM times but also
the 2nd Meth, End Confirm, Batch, etc.
3) The RSWWDHEX doesn't miss a deadline it just triggers
whatever hits since the last run. If you have steps that
hang it sounds like you have other problems than DM.
4) Any old WF's you no longer need you can Logically
Delete them so they're not hitting the system anymore,
either for DM or uncompleted steps.

Hope this helps, may not have been what you were looking
for.

Jeff