A WF design question from a new guy

Loren Huffman huffediguy at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 20 13:47:56 EST 2005

Hello everyone,

I am new to this and would appreciate any and all responses. We are on 4.7 and don't use the HR module but I can create org structures. I have been asked to do a Credit Memo Request WF for document type B3.

This is my second WF and the first to go into production. I found the template (copied it and the subworkflow) and added a step to check for doc type B3 and if it is not then cancel the workflow, this seems to work fine. The next hurdle is to get the approval sequence setup. They want person A to approve up to $1,000. For amounts up to $10,000, they want person A to first approve and then person B. Any amount over $10,000 would be approved by person A, then person B and then person C. I thought that I would try a responsibility rule but I don't think that would check if the workflow had been approved in sequence.

It looks like the responsibility rule would route it to just one user based on amount. Should I ask the ABAP programmer to help me build a function module to somehow check amount and if it had been approved and then either move to next user or complete the workflow, and would I place the fm in the subworkflow task in the Methods Before workitem execution? Agent determination is a bit confusing to me still.

I took BC601 over three years ago and have been the EDI guy ever since, and now they want to do a bunch of workflow projects. Workflow seems like it will be lots of fun but I'm having a bit of a struggle getting up to speed in the short time they have allowed. I currently have myself (user) hardcoded in each task with the responsible agent variable in the main workflow as the subworkflow number -WS20000019. I did this to show a demo of what I've done. They did not like being forced to view the actual document once I executed the item in my inbox. I told them that I didn't know how to not do that. I was thinking that if they don't review the document then why have an approval process. Anyway I would like to thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Cheers

Loren