Sorting similar workitems into different folders

Paul.Bakker@osr.treasury.qld.gov.au Paul.Bakker at osr.treasury.qld.gov.au
Wed Feb 9 16:49:03 EST 2005

WUG-meisters,

We have a custom workflow that generates approval workitems for FI-CA
refunds. Some refunds are straightforward (eg for small amounts)
and have been marked internally with a 'B' (for Bulk approval). Other
refunds (eg for large amounts) are marked with an 'I' (Individual
Approval).

My problem is this:

**** How can I make the distinction between 'Bulk' and 'Individual'
approval workitems clear in the user's worklist? ****

They are internally labelled  with a 'B' and an 'I' in a container element,
but how can the Business Workplace make use of this difference?
Ideally, I would like to get the workitems to appear in different folders.

This problem is complicated by the fact that we are using the *same*
workflow template, step and task for both 'Bulk' and 'Individual'
approval workitems.

Therefore, in SBWP, you can't 'Group According to task' because the tasks
are the same. You also can't 'Group According to content'
because the FI-CA documents are all different. They all have the same
'content type' as well.

I've investigated using 'Group According to sort key', but it seems
perversely complex. _WI_GROUP_ID can only hold objects, not
a simple 'B' or 'I' marker. And it groups according to object instance, not
object type. If I understand it right, I would have
to create a custom table and object for the approval types, and add a step
to the workflow to instantiate the object and store
it in _WI_GROUP_ID. Then I have to change all existing workflows to assign
a Group Id..

Am I missing something obvious here? We're in 4.7 and (will be) using the
Universal Worklist.

thanks in advance,
Paul
(Brisbane)

We have the following problem. I have set up a workflow task to allow
'multiple execution of workitems' - in this case, to allow the 'Bulk
Approval' of small refund amounts. The user selects a bunch of workitems,
approves the first one, and is then prompted by a popup to approve
ALL selected workitems in one go.

This works fine. However, we also want to label some workitems (eg those
for large amounts, or where the customer is dodgy) as unsuitable for
bulk approval - these require individual attention. We call these workitems
'Individual Approvals'.

******The problem is this: how can I make the distinction between 'Bulk'
and 'Individual' approval workitems clear in the user's worklist?*******
They are labelled with a 'B' and an 'I' in a container element, but how can
the Business Workplace make use of this difference?
Ideally, I would like to get them to appear in different folders.

This problem is complicated by the fact that we are using the *same*
workflow template, step and task for both 'Bulk' and 'Individual'
approval workitems.

Therefore, in SBWP, you can't 'Group According to task' because the tasks
are the same. You also can't 'Group According to content'
(or content type), because these are the same.

I've investigated using 'Group According to sort key', but it seems
horrendously complex. _WI_GROUP_ID can only hold objects, not
a simple 'B' or 'I' marker. And it groups according to object instance, not
object type. If I understand it right, I would have
to create a custom table and object for the approval types, and add a step
to the workflow to instantiate the object and store
it in _WI_GROUP_ID.

Am I missing something obvious here? We're in 4.7 and are (will be) using
the Universal Worklist.

thanks in advance,
Paul

Only an individual or entity who is intended to be
a recipient of this e-mail may access or use the
information contained in this e-mail or any of its
attachments.  Opinions contained in this e-mail or
any of its attachments do not necessarily reflect
the opinions of Queensland Treasury.

The contents of this e-mail and any attachments
are confidential and may be legally privileged and
the subject of copyright.  If you have received
this e-mail in error, please notify Queensland
Treasury immediately and erase all copies of the
e-mail and the attachments.  Queensland Treasury
uses virus scanning software.  However, it is not
liable for viruses present in this e-mail or in
any attachment.