to repair or not to repair

Mark Pyc markpyc at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 2 11:28:54 EST 2005

Forget repair - go with the copy option.

You will copy the Workflow (WS) and adjust your new process as necessary.
This doesn't mean you need to copy every standard TS task. Generally you
still use the standard TS tasks and are just adding additional steps to the
Workflow.

In my experience SAP is very unlikely to change an existing WS process. Even
if they did, if your new process works for you it doesn't matter if the
standard one changes. The SAP delivered Workflows are intended as Templates
- that is a starting point for you to copy and extend.

SAP isn't likely to change an object method either. They will mark the
existing (old) method as Obsolete and create a new method. In this case they
"guarantee" to keep the old method available for 2 releases.

You need to be aware of incompatible changes regardless of the technique you
choose. The big thing to watch out for are signature changes (i.e. changes
to the import/export interface of any level - Method, Event, Task,
Workflow).

There is version management within WF so it is possible to revert to old
versions, or simply to display them. This applies to SAP's and your own
developments.

Forget repair - go with the copy option.

Have fun,
Mark