Using workflow container as object key

Mike Pokraka wug.replies at workflowconnections.com
Tue Dec 20 02:31:37 EST 2005

Greetings workflowers,

I've got a requirement where I would normally have to create a table and a
custom object type.
However... I'm thinking that classes free one from the shackles of needing
an underlying table, since the constructor could theoretically just as
well read it's key from a call to SAP_WAPI_READ_CONTAINER instead of a
SELECT statement. Has anyone done this? Good or bad?

Taking the idea to the next level, I'm wondering if it's not possible to
skip a stored key alltogether. Since classes store instance data in memory
independent of the DB, I could call a method (of a different class) which
returns an instance of a class with all the info I need. This would then
be used in the following step to call a subflow with the instance data
becoming import parameters. My question: does WF convert this to Local
Persistent Object References in between successive steps? (Thus it would
destroy my instance data). More importantly, I'm looking at doing this on
a 620 system. If it works, will it still work on 640?

Any thoughts appreciated,
Cheers
Mike