Subtype of Business Object Type

Trant, David David.Trant at andrew.com
Fri Aug 26 08:11:45 EDT 2005

Mike correctly answered why you can only have one delegated subtype.  The purpose of still allowing multiple subtypes to exist, even though none of them would be considered "extensions" of the original, is to give you the flexibility to modify existing methods or attributes for one of your processes without impacting other ones.  For example, say your business creates sales orders for some funky process that differs from ordinary sales orders.  You'd like to use most of the BUS2032 functionality, but need to make changes to BUS2032->CreateFromDat2 for this one scenario.  You don't, though, want these changes to affect your "normal" sales order process.  One option would be to create an un-delegated subtype for BUS2032, say ZBUS203299 and then make your changes to CreateFromDat2.  Assuming you already had, say a ZBUS2032 subtype that had been delegated to BUS2032, you would leave all references to BUS2032 alone throughout your system, except for the one scenario in which you need this changed functionality.  For that scenario, you would instead use ZBUS203299.

Have said all that, I would personally just create a new method in the delegated subtype, say MyCreateFromData, that performs the desired functionality.  I'm sure somewhere out there someone has encountered a need for multiple subtypes that actually makes sense, unlike this contrived example!

Hope that explains things a bit,
David