Sending e-mail without user

Dart, Jocelyn jocelyn.dart at sap.com
Sun Oct 10 19:09:27 EDT 2004

Zsolt,
There are a number of ways of providing "non-SAP" workflow access depending on your release and web capability, e.g. email query, web applications,
SAP/Adobe Interactive forms, etc.

However before you go too much further into your scenario, I strongly suggest you talk to your SAP salesperson or account manager to check the
licencing arrangements at your site.

For a user to take part in a workflow, or in fact in any decision that directly impacts the system, they must be licenced appropriately.  This applies even if they do not have their own SAP user id! For instance they may need to be counted as an external community user.   SAP performs licensing audits checking the use of SAP systems from time to time and in any case it's silly (not to mention poor business ethics) to risk undesirable legal implications - just because an approach is technically possible does not necessarily mean that it is legally defensible.

If you have a recent licence, then there may not be any issue with licensing provided the users involved are covered under the licence.  However if your licence has not been updated in the last couple of years, then you need to check the licence implications of your scenario.   You may also find that there are plans to update the licence in the near future, in which case you need to make sure your workflow scenario is covered.

On the plus side, if the users you speak of are covered under the licensing arrangement, life gets a lot easier.   For instance, you can create an SAP user id for these people, use that to find them, hold their email address, given them access to workflow, audit trail their use of workflow, etc. **EVEN IF** they never logon directly via SAPGUI.

So your questions are not really quick answer questions - there are many ways of handling your situation.  The best advice I can give you is to contact your local SAP office and get your account manager involved.

Regards,
Jocelyn Dart
SAP Consulting (Australia).