How an emptyWF to Task container element can supply value to method??

Praveen Johri pjohri at csc.com
Thu May 20 11:09:17 EDT 2004

David,

You have enlightened me and as well as increased my worries.

Thanks & Regards

Praveen Johri
SAP Practice
Extn : 2597
Ph    : 91-0120-2582323
Fax   : 91-0120-2582322
Computer Science Corporation India Ltd.

for such purpose.

                      "Trant, David"
                      <David.Trant             To:      SAP-WUG at MITVMA.MIT.EDU
                      @andrew.com>             cc:
                      Sent by: SAP             Subject: Re: How an emptyWF to Task container element can supply value to method??
                      Workflow
                      <Owner-SAP-WUG

                      05/20/2004 08:21
                      PM
                      Please respond
                      to "SAP Workflow
                      Users' Group"

You're having a nightmare, and it's very similar to one of mine!  I'd
noticed the same type of behavior for quite some time between the task and
method containers, and had a most interesting series of conversations on it
at the ASUG spring conference last month.  Although on paper, it seems that
one would generally pass data from the event container to the workflow
container to the task container to the method container to the function
module (if that's the method's particular method of execution), it seems
that in reality, SAP doesn't need, or even want, the task to method
container binding.  As long as the parameters of the method match the
container elements being passed from the workflow container to the task
container, SAP simply "dumps" that container in one operation.  I am told
that there is a performance hit (makes sense) for manipulating the extra
binding, so SAP prefers not to do it.  Of course, being a relatively anal,
logical person, I find it difficult to envision data being passed when the
binding is missing, but that is what happens.  One SAP guru recommended
never having a binding at this point; another couple of experts didn't seem
to completely agree with that.  One person told me this binding was
actually going away altogether in future releases, though I'm not sure
which one (I'm on 4.6C).  I used to insist upon a correct binding during my
review process for new workflows, and now am faced with reversing course on
that one.

David