Parallel Forks and Parallel Processing

Nat 4 Govender ngovender4 at toyota.co.za
Tue Mar 9 00:20:12 EST 2004

Hi Alon,

We had a similar problem and we added the wait step, however you are
correct we have changed our workflow because of technical limitations.

Alon what I do not understand about your design is why parallel forks w=
hen
it seems to me that an activity B in fork B is waiting for activity A i=
fork A to raise and event for activity B to do something.  I would not =
have
had parallel forks at all but created a check after activity A that wou=
ld
check the result of activity A and created the activity B in the
appropriate leg of the check.

Regards
Nat Govender
Toyota South Africa
SAP Support  - SAP Workflow
Ext.              : 32645
Direct Line : 031 - 910 2645
Fax              : 031 - 902 9633
E-Mail         : ngovender4 at toyota.co.za

                                                                       =

             Alon Raskin                                               =

             <araskin at eOutlook                                         =

             .com>                                                     =
             Sent by: SAP              SAP-WUG at MITVMA.MIT.EDU          =

             Workflow                                                  =
 cc
             <Owner-SAP-WUG at MI                                         =

             TVMA.MIT.EDU>                                         Subj=
ect
                                       Parrallel Forks and Parallel    =

                                       Processing                      =

             2004/03/08 06:16                                          =

             PM                                                        =

                                                                       =

                                                                       =

             Please respond to                                         =

               "SAP Workflow                                           =

               Users' Group"                                           =

             <SAP-WUG at MITVMA.M                                         =

                  IT.EDU>                                              =

                                                                       =

                                                                       =

Hi All,

We have a situation where a workflow calls two sub-workflows in a paral=
lel
fork. One of the sub-workflows does some processing and raises an event=
 .
The second sub-workflow needs to trap that event and handle appropriate=
ly.
It seems that the sencond sub-workflow is missing the event being raise=
because the first sub-workflow raises it before the second sub-workflow=
 has
a chance to reach the 'wait for event' step.

I know the obvious solution is to put a wait step for a few seconds to =
make
sure that the listening sub-workflow is ready but I hate that approach
because it feels like the 'wait step' is required due to technical
limitations rather then a business requirements. I know I could also ra=
ise
an event when the listening sub-workflow is ready and only then process=
 the
first sub-workflow but again this seems like modelling an event for the=

sake of the technology rather then the business process.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I would appreciate your thought=
and possible solutions.

Regards,

Alon
=