Modifying the container from the roll function

Dart, Jocelyn jocelyn.dart at sap.com
Mon Jul 5 21:34:36 EDT 2004

Hi Arpad,=20
Do you mean the from the "agent determination rule" i.e. what used to =
be known as the "standard role"
- please note role and roll are very different concepts in English.=20

If you want to tell the workflow that the position is wrong, then you =
use the rule flag "Terminate if no result" and
raise the exception NOBODY_FOUND in your rule.=20
This is the only exception handling currently allowed for rules.  You =
are not permitted to return anything to the=20
workflow container.=20

An alternative would be to use a prior activity step to call your rule =
function module and report back the error.  You can then react to the =
error as an exception outcome of the activity step.  However you would =
need to use a BAPI style approach of returning an error code not a =
function module exception if you want to return additional data to the =
workflow container, as of course raising a function module exception =
prevents all exporting parameters from being returned.=20

I'd be reluctant to do this unless you have hard evidence for knowing =
that rule data is habitually wrong.  Even so its bad practice to have =
software coded to handle users bad habits - better to fix the habit.=20

These days, given that we have good tools to reevaluate agents, its =
probably better to let the work item be created, and have =
administrators use the appropriate reports to regularly check for work =
items without agents, and reevaluate the agents.   The adminstrator can =
then contact the responsible business process owner to get them to fix =
the rule.  Or you could even make the responsible business process =
owner responsible for monitoring work items from their workflows.=20

Regards,
Jocelyn=20