What are Work Queues?

Kisloff, Philip B Philip.Kisloff at astrazeneca.com
Wed Jan 28 11:41:51 EST 2004

Hi Mike,

I probably tried to be too brief and ended up not making much more sense
than the documentation !

The workitem type "W" that is sent to someone's inbox uses workqueue object
ARCHLISTWI. So all the application objects in the workqueue can be moved
together for approval and editing by using a workflow. After approval in the
workflow, we background release all the objects in the workqueue.

But another workitem is also created of type "A". This is your actual
workqueue object and not a dialog workitem, so can only be viewed from the
log or seen in the preview pane. To display the workqueue objects from the
type "A" workitem, use menu path "Goto > Type specific data" in the workitem
technical display.

Workqueues are very useful in some circumstances - you are effectively
combining a mass upload program with workflow approval and error
notification. It certainly is a neat solution, although the workqueue
display is restricted to user-unfriendly workflow terms and object keys.

regards

Phil