EBP Shopping Cart goes to all users when SLAPPROVER value is bad

Trant, David David.Trant at andrew.com
Wed Jan 7 16:01:26 EST 2004

Happy New Year!

Twice in one week, during the holidays of course, we had an approval task a=
nd corresponding Outlook e-mail notification go to all EBP users, including=
 naturally the executives and CEO.  We had a similar problem last summer du=
e to a problem with the product category, and at that time implemented note=
 491804, EBP Shopping cart goes to all possible agents.  Our hope had been =
that the note would have addressed all occurrences, but clearly it does not=
 cover problems with SLAPPROVER.  We are on EBP release 3.0.  In one case, =
the administrator mistyped the value of the SLAPPROVER extended attribute f=
or someone in the GUI transaction PPOCA_BBP.  In the second occurrence, som=
eone left the company and the administrator changed the SLAPPROVER value at=
 a high level in the hierarchy, but did not realize that one particular use=
r within that organization for some reason had her own SLAPPROVER value rat=
her than inheriting it from the higher level.  In both examples, agent dete=
rmination failed, and therefore the task went to all possible agents, which=
 meant everyone since it's a general task.

Is anyone aware of a note other than 491804 to address this issue?  Also, d=
oes anyone know whether future EBP releases might add more robustness to ei=
ther the SLAPPROVER/user maintenance process, or further address the issue =
of agent determination failures with general tasks?  Some attributes have s=
earch helps and consistency checks (indeed, sometimes you must use the sear=
ch help in order to associate the correct GUID), but in 3.0 SLAPPROVER has =
neither.  Our administrator has remarked that it is possible to type one na=
me in the browser user maintenance transaction and another in the GUI org s=
tructure maintenance.

Just an editorial comment:  my management has stated repeatedly that under =
no circumstances do they ever want a task going to all users.  They underst=
and the idea of sending tasks to all possible agents upon agent determinati=
on failure, but do not believe that should extend to general tasks.  I'm aw=
are of the checkbox on role/rule definitions to err out when agent determin=
ation fails, but this doesn't cover all scenarios.  I'd be happy to hear of=
 anyone else's ideas on preventing these mass task deliveries at a global l=
evel.

Thanks,
David
contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. =20
this email is prohibited.