Using a table rather than an Org. structure to select approvers

Bradshaw-Long, Kathleen Kathleen.Bradshaw-Long at getronics.com
Thu Feb 26 10:14:01 EST 2004

Dear workflow comrades,

I am looking for some general advice about an approach for assigning
work approvers to purchase requisitions in a worklfow.
We are using system 4.6C and have developed a workflow for approving
purchase requisitions. We are using release strategies
and an overall release approval.

In our workflow, the user (requisition creator) first receives the
requisitions so he/she can assign an approver.
Currently, our system is set up so the release code points to a position
in an Org. structure.  That position has several employee ID's assigned
to it---so the requisitioner can pick from the list of approvers.

Our business users want to eliminate the maintenance of the Org.
Structure so they are proposing that we maintain all of the approvers in
a table---rather than an Org. structure.  Additionally, they want us to
set up an automatic update of the approvers in that table from a feed or
interface (ALE?) that comes from our HR Org. structure---which resides
on a different server.  Are there any risks to this approach? Is it
technically complex to update the table from a structure on a different
sever? Will the updates (adding or removing names from a list) have any
effect on in-process worklfows?

        Kathleen Bradshaw-Long
        BP/IS

        Kathleen.Bradshaw-Long at getronics.com